Skip to main content

Super simple homemade cinnamon rolls



Over the past few weeks, Karel and I have been enjoying the occasional longish swim to start our Saturday morning. There's something about a long swim that revs up the appetite (not complaining).

I remember back to my high school and college swimming days when that Saturday morning swim was complete it meant two things:
1) I could officially start my weekend.
2) Eat. All. The. Food!

During our swim this past Saturday, the image of cinnamon rolls kept popping into my head. If you know me well, you know that I love cinnamon rolls because well, I love cinnamon and bread.



Rather than heading to a bakery to buy a cinnamon roll, I decided to take my first attempt at making homemade cinnamon rolls from scratch. I found a recipe that was super easy to follow so after my recovery drink, I started baking (well, first I had to make a quick stop to the grocery when I realized we were out of flour!).

Enjoy this tasty recipe!

Super simple homemade cinnamon rolls

                                

Ingredients

Dough:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter (softened)
3/4 cup milk
1 egg

Filling:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon

(Note: I did not make the icing as Karel and I are not big icing fans. While I won't turn down a yummy cinnamon roll with icing from a local bakery, I'd rather enjoy my cinnamon filled bread without the extra sweet icing. If you'd like to add icing, I suggest a cream cheese icing like this one).

Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush a 9-inch square baking dish with melted butter (or cooking spray). 
  2. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. 
  3. Work in 3 tbsp softened butter into the flour mixture using your hands. 
  4. Beat milk and egg together in another bowl. 
  5. Pour into flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until a soft dough forms.
  6. Turn dough onto a floured work surface and roll dough into a 1/4th thick rectangle.
  7. Whisk together the filling ingredients. Sprinkle 1/2-3/4th the cinnamon sugar mixture over the dough (I didn't use all the sugar mixture. Instead, I saved the extra cinnamon sugar mixture in a jar to use for oatmeal and other breakfast toppings.)
  8. Roll the dough to form a log and cut into small rolls (I made mostly medium size cinnamon rolls and a few mini rolls).

      
  9. Place rolls in baking dish. 
  10. Bake for 22-25 minutes.
  11. Remove from oven and enjoy (this would be the part where you would add icing if you choose). 
Don't forget to yum!